The Thomas J. Long School of Pharmacy is proud to partner with Legacy Heart Care. The goal of this program is to increase industry fellowship opportunities offered through partnerships between biopharmaceutical organizations and universities on the West Coast. As an FIP fellow, you will be fully immersed in the marketing/MSL position to support the business needs of Legacy Heart Care while developing your personal experience and portfolio in the industry. In addition, you will have opportunities to work alongside the faculty and preceptors at the University and Travis Air Force Base. This partnership is particularly unique as you will collaborate with some of the best KOLs in the external counterpulsation or cardiology arena.
Legacy Heart Care was founded in Fort Worth, Texas and established the first treatment clinic in 2003. From the inception, Legacy functioned as an extension of the cardiologist practice, delivering Enhanced External Counterpulsation (EECP®) on a referral basis. The decision to operate as an independent provider was key to Legacy’s ability to build scale and thus truly transform the treatment experience. It is this mastery in optimizing the intersection between patient experience and exceptional patient outcomes that has set Legacy apart.
Legacy Heart Care like so many successful start-ups, began in humble fashion within an 11’x13’ room, with one treatment unit and three patients - one of whom was Michael’s grandfather, Irvin. Today, through tremendous dedication to this vision, Legacy has extended its platform to impact the cardiovascular communities in six metropolitan areas - serving more than 20,000 patients and 800 cardiologists. As the nation’s largest provider of EECP® treatment, delivering more than 25,000 patient treatments annually, Legacy has earned the trust of the cardiology communities it serves and has built a reputation for being a dynamic and effective chronic disease management partner. We are humbled by this responsibility and remain keenly focused on our sole purpose - to positively affect each life we touch, every day.
This one-year marketing/MSL Fellowship at Legacy Heart Care (LHC) offers a unique opportunity to pair one’s PharmD training, and clinical cardiology interest with hands-on commercial experience in the cardiovascular therapy and medical device industries. The fellow will provide medical communication to existing and potential medical providers/KOLs that refer patients to Legacy Heart Care’s External Counterpulsation (ECP) program. The fellow will interact with other personnel from Sales, Medical Affairs and other senior executives to bolster the company’s vision and mission.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Leverage clinical insights to engage physicians and facilitate the transition of appropriate patients to LHC.
- Monitor marketing/clinic outcomes from the local center to modify marketing/sales activities.
- Provide education/presentations to health care practitioners.
- Identify and engage KOLs in education or research endeavors.
- Provide industry relevant scientific updates to the marketing and leadership teams to direct projects and initiatives within the organization.
- Engage in strategy planning and brand development meetings.
- Develop high impact marketing tools in collaboration with internal stakeholders and agency partners.
- Engage with advertising agencies and relevant commercial vendors.
- Develop awareness of LHC and ECP at a local and national platform.
- Travelling is expected and not limited to the local area. Attendance at key sales and marketing meetings, as well as attendance at relevant scientific meetings would be required.
Fellowship Program Dates
The fellowship begins on July 1, 2021 and ends on June 30, 2022.
Fellowship Eligibility Requirements
A candidate must be:
- A permanent resident or citizen of the United States
- PharmD from an accredited college or university before the start of the fellowship term
Candidates must submit the following application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Letter of intent
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- Three (3) letters of recommendation emailed directly from letter writer to FIP Director
- One professional writing sample
- Unofficial pharmacy school transcript emailed to FIP Director
- All applications received by November 6, 2020 will be considered for the fellowship
- All applications received after November 6, 2020 will be reviewed and considered on a
- rolling basis.
- Submit to email@example.com
Sachin A. Shah, PharmD, FACC, FAHA
Director, Fellowship in Industry Program
Professor of Pharmacy Practice
University of the Pacific
Thomas J. Long School of Pharmacy
3601 Pacific Avenue, Stockton, CA 95211