The Thomas J. Long School of Pharmacy is proud to partner with the United States Air Force, Clinical Investigations Facility (Travis AFB, CA) on this one of a kind fellowship program. Founded in 2017, the program aims to provide exceptional clinical research training for pharmacy (PharmD) graduates. The goal of the program is to prepare fellows for a career in the pharmaceutical industry by focusing on developing technical, leadership and communication skills. The fellowship will also concentrate on cultivating the fellow's clinical skills while honing their expertise in their area of interest. The University of the Pacific and Travis Air Force Base have been partners in providing graduate medical education for over 30 years.
A Joint Commission-accredited teaching hospital, David Grant USAF Medical Center is the Air Force Medical Service's flagship medical treatment facility in the United States, providing a full spectrum of health care and patient-centered treatment to a prime service area population of more than 130,000 TRICARE eligible patients in the immediate San Francisco-Sacramento vicinity and more than 377,000 Department of Veterans Affairs Northern California Health Care System eligibles.
DGMC provides postgraduate training programs in family medicine, radiology, surgery, transitional year, dentistry, oral surgery, nurse anesthesia, pharmacy, clinical social workers, technicians and clinical nurses. The campus includes the VA Fairfield Outpatient Clinic, a Clinical Investigation Facility, a community-supported Fisher House, the largest Hyperbaric Medicine chamber on the west coast and the Armed Services Whole Blood Processing Laboratory.
This 2-year Clinical Research & Strategy Fellowship with USAF Travis Air Force Base, CA provides the opportunity to gain an end-to-end experience in clinical research, from idea generation to publication. The fellow will have the unique opportunity to conduct clinical research augmenting the Defense Health Agency mission of having a medically ready force for peace and war times. They will collaborate with multiple internal and external stakeholders such as the Graduate Medical Education Department, Defense Health Agency, Space Force, NASA, and the Lawrence Livermore Labs to foster mission readiness.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Develop novel ideas that are relevant and feasible
- Conduct innovative clinical research trials, leverage Department of Defense databases for real world data analytics, and perform salient meta-analyses
- Work with interdisciplinary teams consisting of basic science, clinical, military, and active duty researchers
- Author and maintain trial documents including grants, study protocols, IRB proposals, informed consent documents, and data collections forms
- Execute clinical site patient recruitment and data collection under organizational standard operating procedures and Good Clinical Practice
- Evaluate and present study data at local or national scientific meetings, military leadership meetings, and/or a peer-reviewed journal
Fellowship Program Dates
The fellowship begins on July 1, 2021 and ends on June 30, 2023.
Fellowship Eligibility Requirements
A candidate must be:
- A permanent resident or citizen of the United States
- PharmD from an accredited college or university before the start of the fellowship term
Candidates must submit the following application materials to email@example.com
- Letter of intent
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- Three (3) letters of recommendation emailed directly from letter writer to FIP Director
- One professional writing sample
- Unofficial pharmacy school transcript emailed to FIP Director
- All applications received by November 6, 2020 will be considered for the fellowship position.
- All applications received after November 6, 2020 will be reviewed and considered on a rolling basis.
- Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org
Sachin A. Shah, PharmD, FACC, FAHA
Director, Fellowship in Industry Program
Professor of Pharmacy Practice
University of the Pacific
Thomas J. Long School of Pharmacy
3601 Pacific Avenue, Stockton, CA 95211